The scent work class requires prior instructor approval. Priority enrollment is given to members of the GLKC. Class is $80 member/$120 non-member for eight weeks.
Target Dog and age range:
The activity of GLKC Scent Work is accessible to any dog, including dogs that are unable to enjoy other dog activities due to age, physical limitation, lack of obedience, fear or reactivity issues.
By the end of this class you will understand what is required to enter an Odor Recognition Test (ORT) and should be prepared to or close to being ready to enter an ORT.
Skills covered in class:
- Introduction to clicker training
- Preparing and handling odor
- Introduction to odor
- Adding duration
- Hunting games
- Body language/handler cues
- False alerts
Dog able to recognize the odor and handler recognize the alert
Class size and duration:
- Maximum 8 dog/handler teams
- 8 weeks
- 1 hour per week
Equipment provided by the handler:
- Collar (buckle, quick release, or harness) without tags
- Leash (4-6ft fabric [no nylon] or leather)
- Variety of soft, bite-sized treats
- Clicker (optional, highly advised)
Equipment provided by GLKC:
Scent starter kit for purchase for approximately $12