The rally classes require prior instructor approval to ensure prerequisite skills are met.
Target Dog and age range:
Those needing Rally skills, 6 months and up.
To prepare dogs who have some basic obedience skills for competition in AKC Rally Novice through Master classes, obedience, and/or agility, and to practice obedience fundamentals.
Minimum prerequisite skills:
- Some degree of stationary attention
- Some degree of moving attention
- Heeling at the handler’s left side on a loose leash
- Sit, down, and come on command
It is recommended that the dog and handler complete a basic obedience class, which covers the above skills before enrolling in this class. The Canine Good Citizen class is recommended. Dog/handler teams will need to be evaluated before or during the first class.
Skills covered in class:
AKC Rally Novice through Master exercises, including on-leash and off-leash heeling, jumps, and rules overview. Nested courses are setup to accommodate all levels.
Class size and duration:
- Maximum 8 dog/handler teams
- 6 weeks
- 1 hour per week
Equipment provided by the handler:
- Collar (buckle, quick release, chain, or martingale)
- Leash (4-6 ft fabric or leather)
- Variety of soft, bite-sized treats; toy
- Clicker (optional)
Equipment provided by GLKC:
- Obedience jumps
Education Committee Chair for more information