Therapy Dog Skills
The therapy dog skills class requires prior instructor approval. Priority enrollment is given to members of the GLKC.
Target dog and age range:
For dogs 1 year of age or older. Prior instructor approval is required if the dog is under 1 year old. Reactive, aggressive, or shy dogs are not suitable candidates for therapy dog work.
- Help develop and practice proactive handler/dog team skills to visit people safely, effectively and in a professional manner in a therapeutic setting
- Help prepare handler/dog teams for therapy dog certification, skills covered in the class include those that are part of Therapy Dog International and/or Pet Partners test requirements
- Enhance the understanding of what a therapy dog is and how this differs from service and working dogs
Dog should know how to walk on a loose leash, sit, lie down, stay, come on command, be comfortable being touched and be able to stay quiet. Successful completion of a basic skills class and/or instructor approval is required.
Skills covered in class:
Class size and duration:
- Maximum 8 dog/handler teams
- 7 weeks
- 1 hour per week
- Do not bring dogs to the first class
Equipment provided by the handler:
- Collar (buckle or snap-in)
- Leash (4-6ft fabric or leather)
- Variety of soft, bite-sized treats
- 20ft lead
Equipment provided by GLKC:
- Table and chairs
- Wheelchair, walkers, rollator, canes, crutches
- Miscellaneous items used for distractions and mock scenario